Health Services

Common Issues and Questions

Welcome to the Suffolk County Department of Health Services contact page. We appreciate your feedback about our programs, services and web site. Listed below are our most common issues we are contacted about.


Departmental Mandatory Provider Compliance/ False Claims Policy

This policy applies to all SCDHS employees, contractors, and agents. It outlines a compliance program, including the delineation of information regarding detecting and preventing fraud, waste and abuse (FWA), and informs staff regarding listed anti-fraud, false claim, and “whistle blower” protection status.

To make a compliant, call the Compliance Officer Kimberly Gierasch at 854-0066.

Departmental Mandatory Provider Compliance / False Claims Policy


Restaurants and Food Service Establishments

Contact the Suffolk County Health Services Bureau of Public Health Protection at 631-852-5997 or send an email to Please provide the date and time of the incident along with the establishment name and the nature of the complaint.


Supermarkets, Grocery Stores and Farm Stands

Contact the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets at (718) 722-2876 or visit their website.


Mosquito Spraying (Vector Control)

Contact the Suffolk County Department of Public Works Division of Vector Control at (631) 852-4270 or send an email to The Suffolk County Department of Health Services does not schedule nuisance mosquito spraying.


Immunization Record Request

The Suffolk County Department of Health Services does not maintain a vaccine registry for immunizations administered to Suffolk County residents by private physicians or other health care providers. The Department only maintains immunizations records for patients of the County Health Center system and for vaccines administered during our immunization clinics (e.g., Flu Vaccine to Senior Citizens, MMR to College Students, etc.)

In order to obtain copies of childhood immunizations, an attempt to locate missing records should be made by contacting previous health-care providers and searching for a personally held record. Serologic testing for immunity is an alternative to vaccination for certain antigens (e.g., measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, tetanus, diphtheria, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and poliovirus). If records cannot be located, persons may or may not be susceptible and should consult with their physician as to the need for revaccination or blood tests demonstrating immunity. [General Recommendations on Immunization: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP); MMWR, February 8, 2002/ 51 (RR02);1-36].


Septic Systems

The Suffolk County Department of Health Services Office of Wastewater Management may have records of the septic system location for a single family residence if it was constructed in 1973 or later. The homeowner should call the office at (631) 852-5700, between 8:30 A.M. and 4:30 P.M., and must supply the property tax map number, and the approximate year that the house was originally constructed. If the lot is located on a subdivision map, the map name and lot number are also helpful in finding older records.


Beauty Parlors, Cosmetology, Hair Dressers, Waxing, Barbers and Nail & Tanning Salons

Licensed by the New York State Department of State. Questions should be directed to (631) 952 - 6579.

Tanning salons are licensed by the New York State Department of Health. Questions should be directed to (518) 402-7600.


Birth, Death, Marriage & Divorce Records

Suffolk County does not maintain Birth, Marriage or Death records, rather this is a fun ction of the town clerk and or registrar. Use the links below to help in your search.


Town of Babylon

Town of Brookhaven

Town of East Hampton

Town of Huntington 

Town of Islip (631) 224-5498

Town of Smithtown

Town of Southampton (631) 287-5740

Town of Southold

Town of Riverhead

Town of Shelter Island (631) 749-1166

New York State Department of Health - Vital Records Services


For all other inquiries, please send us an email at

If you would prefer to contact us by telephone, please view our directory.